You have sent a print command and are waiting for your printer to deliver a printout. However, what you see is your HP Printer Not Printing Black and delivers a blank page with hazy ink marks alerting you of some serious print issues. What’s more frustrating is the black ink cartridge is sufficiently full, but still your printer refuses to print black.
If that’s a routine problem with your old HP Printer and you are on the verge of retiring it, this HP printer not printing guide is worth giving a try. Moreover, if yours is a newly acquired HP printer, then also these troubleshooting steps won’t disappoint you. So, do you know what’s making your HP printer not print black? Let’s dive deeper and discover the reasons and the most effective ways to fix it.
Why Won’t My Printer Print Black?
Some might think that an empty or dry ink cartridge is causing an issue, but that’s just one of the reasons. We researched some faulty printers that weren’t printing black and here are the reasons that we observed.
- Dry or empty ink cartridge – Troubled ink cartridge restricts the ink flow.
- Clogged printhead and nozzle – It prevents the free flow of ink.
- Printer components are not genuine – Duplicate parts damaged printer.
- The printhead is not aligned – Non-calibrated printheads don’t allow black ink to spread on paper.
- Out-of-date printer driver – Bugs in previous driver versions may cause the printer not printing black issue.
How Do I Fix an HP Printer Not Printing Black Problem?
That’s pretty simple and it requires you to take some basic steps to get beautiful printouts from your new or old HP printer. Here’s what you should do.
Step 1. Check the black ink cartridge
The first thing you should do to resolve the HP printer not printing problem is verifying the ink cartridges. Make sure to replace the dry, clogged, and empty ink cartridges as they won’t let you print and may cause further damage to your printer as well.
- Open the printer cartridge access door and take out the ink cartridge from the slot.
- Shake the ink cartridge well and see if it shows any ink movement.
- If not then you should replace the ink cartridge with a new one.
- Buy a genuine HP Ink Cartridge and replace the old one with it.
- While installing the new toner, check the vents are not clogged. If you found them clogged, then use a pin to clean up the vents.
Step 2. Clean the printhead
People ask why won’t my printer print even after replacing the ink cartridges. Well, switching the ink cartridges is not a waste of time, but sometimes it’s just not enough to resolve the HP printer not printing black problem. The next thing you should try is cleaning the printhead by using the below steps.
- Turn on your printer.
- Locate the Printer Maintenance option in the control panel.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to perform the automatic printhead cleaning.
- The process may take up to 1 to 2 minutes to complete.
- After cleaning finishes, your printer will print a test page. If the print quality satisfies you, that indicates the printer not printing black problems is resolved.
- If it’s still there you should try your hands on manual cleaning. The subsequent steps will tell you the process.
Manual printhead cleaning (try only if you are confident about it)
- Take a plastic container, fill it with warm water.
- Dip the paper towel two inches down into the water.
- Uninstall all ink cartridges from the printer.
- Open the cartridge access door, lift the latch up and gently remove the printhead from the printer.
- Put the printhead on a water-filled container.
- Wipe out the excess ink from the printhead. Do it with the damped cloth.
- After cleaning the printhead, let it dry naturally and install it within the printer thereafter.
- Install ink cartridges as well, turn on the printer and try printing.
Step 3. Use HP Print and Scan Doctor, if still printer won’t print black
You can simply fix the HP printer not printing black using Hewlett-Packard’s in-house tool HP Print and Scan Doctor. Use the following steps to resolve the issue.
- Search for HP Print and Scan Doctor on the web browser.
- Download and Install the software on your PC.
- Now open this software, agree to the license agreement.
- Select your printer and click Next.
- On the next screen, click Fix Printing.
- This will find and fix the root cause of the problem.
- Now you should start getting the elegant printouts.
Step 4. Update the HP printer driver
HP is quite particular in releasing the new driver versions and those updates also include the solution for HP printer not printing black problems. However, the drivers can update automatically if you have activated the auto-update feature. Here is what you should do to manually update the printer drivers.
- Connect your printer and computer to the same wireless network.
- Open the Chrome browser and visit the HP support website.
- Scroll the webpage and click the Download drivers button.
- Choose Printers on the list and enter the HP printer model number.
- Click Submit.
- You will see the list of available updates on the screen.
- Select them all and download the complete package on your computer.
- Go to the Download folder under File Explorer, right-click on the HP printer installer file and click Run.
- Follow the subsequent on-screen instruction and install the latest drivers on your system.
Step 5. Align the printhead
A non-calibrated printer leads to several problems like the one we are discussing here in this blog. If your printer won’t print black or facing trouble printing as a whole, then you should ensure to get your printer calibrated from the experts. If you want to try it by yourself, then the following steps could help.
- Ensure the printer’s Control Panel is illuminated, or you should restart your printer once.
- Locate the Printer Maintenance or Tools on the Control Panel.
- Choose the Align Printhead option on the list.
- Doing this will calibrate your printer and print a test page soon after.
- In case aligning the printhead won’t fix the printer not printing black problem, then you should think of calling the experts.
Step 6. Use inbuilt Printer Troubleshooter
If nothing works, then treat this as your last resort. Printer Troubleshooter comes built-in in Windows PC and it can be an answer for all who complain my HP printer won’t print, how do I fix it! Follow the below mentioned easy steps to fix the problem.
- Go to the search bar in the bottom left corner of your system and type Troubleshoot.
- Click on Printer and select Run the Troubleshooter.
- It might take a few minutes to detect the problem.
- Select the HP printer model and click Next.
- Follow the on-screen instructions, finally restart the system and printer to fix the printer won’t print black issue.
Well, great you just have learned how to fix the HP printer not printing black problem, and that too by yourself. Trying these six steps will help you get your printer back on track and provide elegant-looking black printouts. If you still face trouble fixing the printing issue, then feel free to get in touch with us for further assistance. Our HP Printer Support experts are available 24/7 to assist you in dealing with such nasty issues.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why is my printer not printing black?
No matter which brand’s printer you use. All the printers at some point in time may have some trivial or complex problems. For example, some printers may not print black. For such problems, don’t panic. A simple trick to resolve the issue is to switch off the power factor of the printer. Wait for the printer to shut down properly. Remove the power cord power of the printer, connected to the power source. After waiting for one minute, start the printer. Wait for the printer to turn on completely. Now, trying to take out the printout. The problem must be resolved.
How do I fix my printer not printing black ink?
If your printer is not printing black then you need to check the cartridges. Mostly, printers give this form of problem. But, it only occurs when the ink in the cartridge has got exhausted. Checking the cartridge for the ink will give a perfect idea about the problem. If there are hardly a few drops of ink, even then the printer may not print black. You can resolve it by replacing the cartridge. Insert a new cartridge properly and see whether the printer is printing in black colour. There is a high chance your problem will get sorted out.
Why is my printer printing blank pages when it has ink?
Many times, it so happens you have a cartridge but your printer doesn’t print. In such cases, you need to troubleshoot. Given below are the ways by which you can troubleshoot the problem:
- You may have ink in your cartridge. However, see whether there is sufficient ink in the cartridge. You can check the level of the ink by checking the minimum level mark of the ink. If the ink is low, replace it.
- See whether the ink cartridges are inserted into the slot properly. You can remove the cartridges and snap them into place again.
Why is my printer connected but not printing?
It is a common problem that your printer has all the connections in place, but it doesn’t give printouts. In such cases, you need to see whether there is any loose connection between the printer and the power source. You need to check out the loose connection of the cable between the printer and the PC. Initially, you remove the power cord and wait for 60 seconds. Insert the power cord. Secondly, remove the cable between the printer and the PC. Insert a cable directly into the PC as well as the printer.
What do I do if my HP printer won't print?
If your printer is not printing, you need to troubleshoot to understand the cause of it. Initially, see whether there is any loose connection of the wires. The loose connections can be of the power cord or the USB cable connected to the printer. If these are not the cases, make sure that the cartridges are inserted properly into the slots. You can remove the cartridges and re-insert them carefully. Even if the problem doesn’t get resolved with these techniques, then check the ink level in the cartridges. If the ink level is low, insert a new cartridge.
What to do if the printer is not printing?
Printers may not give out printouts for various problems. You need to troubleshoot to identify the problem. One of the first things that you need to do is, make sure that the cartridges have not dried up. Suppose you haven’t been using the printer for a long time, maybe for more than six months. Your cartridges may have dried up. Check whether there is sufficient ink in the ink cartridge. If the cartridges have dried up or the level of the ink is low, then replacement is the answer. You need to replace the existing cartridges with new cartridges.
Why is my printer connected but not printing?
The printers fail to give printouts when there are problems related to the power cord, cable, ink, cartridges, or network issues. It can also be due to clogged nozzles. You need to troubleshoot to find out the exact cause of the problem. Mostly the problems are related to the power cord or ink cartridges. For example, the cables may be loose or the ink in the cartridges must be low. The installation of the cartridges must be improper. For loose connection, tighten up the cable. Install new cartridges if the ink level is low or they have dried up.
Why is my HP printer not printing?
If the HP printer is not printing at all, make sure that the ink cartridges are in the proper slots. If required, remove them and reinstall them. See to it that you have removed the tape over the vent of the cartridges before inserting the cartridges. If not, remove the cartridges from the slot and remove the tape. Then re-insert the cartridges in the slot. See whether the printer is working properly now. If you have been using the printer for a long time, the printer must have got jammed. Oil certain parts of the printer carefully.
Why is my HP printer printing blank pages when it has ink?
Your HP printer doesn’t need to be working if it has ink. It may give problems even if the ink is present in the cartilage. In such cases, check if the vent of the cartridges is blocked. If so, you need to clean up the clogged portion on the vent of the cartridges. Snap the cartridges properly into their slot. Ensure that you have removed the tape of the vent if you’re using a new cartridge. Unless the tape is removed, the printer may not be able to print on any papers.
Why is my printer not printing when the ink is full?
There must be something wrong with your cartridge if your printer is not printing when the ink is full. There is a possibility that you must have not inserted the cartridges properly. To remove them, and put them in the proper place carefully and slowly. See whether the printer carriage is not jammed. See whether you have removed the tape over the vent of the newly installed cartridges. Sometimes, in a hurry, you must have forgotten to remove the tape over the vent. Check whether their nozzles have not clogged up. If yes, you need to clean them.
How do I fix an HP printer that is printing blank?
There is a possibility that your HP printer may have the ink but it may not be printing blank. In such cases, you can check out for the ink level whether the tape over the vent of the cartridges has been removed. If there are no issues with them, then you need to look out for other problems. There is a chance that the printer’s head is clogged and it needs to be cleaned. Mostly, printers have the automatic cleaning feature, which can be executed to clean the printer’s head. This would automatically clean the printer’s head.
Why is my HP printer not printing anything?
You need to identify the problem to understand why your HP printer is not printing. There can be various reasons for the same. It can be due to improper installation of the cartridge. You must have forgotten to remove the tape over the vent of the cartridge. The cartridge may have also dried up. Hence, you need to check whether we have removed the tape first. Even if the printer is not working due to the cartridges, then replace them. Check whether your printer is connected to the wireless network properly. You need to check whether the name of the wireless network is shown on your printer’s screen.
Why won't my HP Officejet Pro 6978 print black?
If your HP OfficeJet pro 6978 printers is not printing black, there can be various reasons associated with it. Check out the below reasons to understand more about the problem:
- Remove the cartridges and perform a hard reset of the printer
- Remove the USB cable that is present and wait for 2 to 3 minutes. Press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds.
- Wait till the warm-up period of the printer is over and it becomes idle.
- See to it that the ink cartridges are snapped into the right slots.
- See whether the colour cartridges are working properly
How do I clean the printheads on my HP Officejet Pro 6978?
If your printer is not working or not giving out black printouts, you need to check out the printer’s head. There is a high chance that the problem may lie in the printer’s head. To be specific, the printer’s head must have got clogged up. Hence, it needs cleaning. Don’t worry it’s easy to carry out the cleaning. There is an automatic cleaning feature of the printer’s head within the printer. Run the automatic cleaning feature two to three times. If the automatic feature is not present in your printer then manually remove the printer’s head. Clean it thoroughly and place it.