HP produces a high-performing and durable line of printers. However, sometimes, the printer can encounter various problems. Many people report that their HP printer won’t turn on. The printer shuts down abruptly while they are performing a printing task. After that, no matter how much they try, the device just doesn’t seem to turn on. A common cause of this issue can be hardware problems. When this problem occurs, the user needs to know the necessary steps to fix it. In this article, you will find some effective ways to deal with this problem.
Fixes To Use When HP Printer Does Not Turn On
Poor connection apart from hardware issues is a common cause of printer not turning on. In the following sections, you’ll read about some good fixes to use when your HP printer refuses to turn on.
1. Test The Power Source With A Different Power Cord.
Find if your power source is functioning properly. If you have a different power cord, link it to the printer and a functioning power outlet.
- Unplug the cord from its power strip or wall outlet.
- Link the printing device to another working outlet.
- Switch on the printer. If it turns on, you can stop here. But if not, follow the next step.
- Find a cord with the same connection as the printing device’s power cord. Now, link the cord to the wall outlet and to the printer.
- Switch on the printer. Hopefully, it will turn on.
2. Perform A Manual Reset To Restore The Printer’s Power After A Power Outage
If you are wondering why won’t my HP printer turn on, especially after a power outage, the reason can be electrical damages. Power outages commonly make HP printers crash. Electrical damages after it prevent them from turning on. You can execute a manual reset and make your printer turn back on.
- Start by disconnecting the power supply from your HP printer.
- Next, take away the ink cartridges.
- Wait for 60 seconds or 1 minute.
- After that, link the power cord back to the printer.
- Now, switch on your printer. Your printer may still have no power. If you notice this, follow the steps below.
- Replace the printer ink cartridges. If there are any open doors or lids, close them.
- Now try turning the printer on once again if it hasn’t yet turned on.
In case you find that the printer is not turning on, it’s highly likely that the blackout has damaged it permanently. In this case, speak with a technician and ask if they can do anything about it.
3. Disconnect The USB Connector
Try this method if those mentioned above don’t work out for you. The USB connector is at the back of the HP printer. Disconnect it and then turn on your printer. If you notice that the printer is starting perfectly, then you that the problem lies in the USB wire. So, the right option is to remove or replace it.
4. Set Your HP Printer As The Default
People commonly question why won’t my HP printer turn on when they unknowingly send print jobs to the wrong printer. When you send a request, Windows will transmit that print job to the default printer. If you find that nothing is printing, it’s highly likely that you have not set your HP printer to default. Follow these steps to set your printer as the default one.
- Navigate to the ‘Control Panel‘ and choose ‘Devices and Printers.’
- Locate your printer in the printing device’s list.
- Right-tap it and choose ‘Set as default printer.’
- Tap ‘Yes‘ when there’s a confirmation prompt.
5. Turn The Printer On After A Paper Jam.
If your printer has just encountered a paper jam, it will have much of its normal functions impaired. If you shut down the printing device while the backup was still there, you can follow the steps below to restore power to it.
- Take away all the paper. Clear the paper jam.
- Inspect the trays, rollers, and other metal parts.
- Also, take away the paper in the feed.
- Reload the paper. It’s best to fan the pages to avoid them from getting stuck together and causing the jam.
- Unplug the printing device from its outlet.
- Disconnect the cords attached to the printing device.
- Wait for half a minute.
- Connect the power cord to the printer’s rear.
- Plug the printer into the outlet.
- Now, hit the power button.
6. Inspect If The External Power Module Is Compatible With The HP Printer
If your HP printer utilizes an external power supply and you are wondering why my HP printer won’t turn on, there’s some incompatibility between the wall outlet, power module, and power cord. You must check that the external power module is fully compatible with your printer. To do so, follow these points.
- Find the external power module’s specification.
- Check that the voltage and amperage specifications on the power module match both of these specifications on your printer.
- If you notice that the printer module is incompatible, get a replacement module that works well with your HP printer model. You can find more options for it by navigating to the HP Parts Store website.
7. Recycle Power To Your Printer.
Resetting the power module is another effective measure to implement. When you find that your HP printer does not turn on. Follow these steps to recycle power to your printer.
- Disconnect the power cord from your printing device.
- Take away the power cord from its outlet.
- After you have disconnected the printer for at least a minute, reconnect the cord to the printer.
- Now, plug the cord directly into its wall socket.
- Follow the appropriate steps below to begin the power on/off cycle according to your printer model.
- Those printers with a ‘Power‘ button should press and release this button.
- Those printers with a ‘Power‘ switch should press this switch to the OFF position. Then, press the button to the ON position.
- If your printing device doesn’t switch on, wait for 10 seconds and press the power button.
8. Free Your Printer From A Shutdown Loop.
Many people find that after they manually shut down their printer and then power it, the printer attempts to shut down again. You can follow these steps to free your printer from this loop.
- Download and install the HP Print and Scan Doctor.
- Use an Ethernet cable or a USB to connect the printer.
- While your printing device is on, run HP Print and Scan Doctor.
- Scan for printers that are available.
- Choose the option of ‘Fix Printing.’
After reading this article, you know what to do when your HP printer won’t turn on. All these methods are effective at fixing this problem. However, if you cannot follow them and resolve the issue, connect with HP customer support services. The technical experts will resolve all HP printer-related problems for you.